Ashwagandha is considered to be the main plant used in the Ayurvedic system of healing (which has been practiced in India for over 2000 years). This is the best rejuvenating plant for the muscles, bone marrow and reproductive system. It is very beneficial to the immune system. Ashwagandha is widely used in traditional Indian medicine for the treatment of mental disorders and is one of the most powerful tonic herbs (which supplies energy to your body). In traditional medicine the entire ashwagandha plant is used, leaves, roots, bark, fruit, seeds… but the greatest therapeutic effect is from the root of this plant.
Simple But Effective Way To Supercharge Your Immune System Naturally with Ashwagandha
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera, Solanaceae) is a Sanskrit word”aswa” meaning “horse”, and “gandha” – “smell”, thus ashwagandha roughly means “has the smell of a horse”. It is said that the plant gives horses stamina, vitality and sexual energy. Ashwagandha is rich in biologically active substances: it is composed of both macro and micro-elements, amino acids, peptides, lipids, and the bases of nucleic acids.
The composition of the plant ashwagandha are not yet fully understood, but it contains saponins, oligosaccharides, steroid lactones, glycosides, withanolides, and withaferin A.
The plant also contains amino acids: glycine, cystine, alanine, tryptophan and glutamic acid which are important components of proteins, enzymes, hormones and many other biologically active substances.
These substances participate in various biological processes of the brain, protein and carbohydrate metabolism, improve the power supply of nerve cells and are widely used in the mental and cardio-vascular diseases. A lipid fraction effect on the cardiovascular system normalizes the level of arterial blood pressure, stimulates sexual function and renders a rejuvenating effect. Peptides regulate various biochemical processes including; protecting the body from foreign elements, positively influences learning and recollection, regulates sleep and has a positive influence on the treatment of schizophrenia.
Ashwagandha can increase mental and physical performance after severe diseases, injuries and surgical interventions, slows down the aging process, improves atherosclerosis,helps prevent ischemic heart disease, improves peripheral blood circulation and age related changes in muscles, bones and joints.
Ashwagandha will help you with many health problems as:
- It accelerates the healing of wounds, the accretion of the bones and connective tissue, improves efficiency, reduces the manifestations of stress, reduces the effects of damage to the muscles, bones and joints caused by physical overload, and can even activate the growth and development of muscles.
- Ashwagandha activates the protective forces of the body and the immune system increasing the body’s resistance to colds and infectious diseases, increases blood pressure, elevates stress related diseases such as neurosis, neurasthenia, peptic ulcer disease, cardiovascular disease, diseases of liver and kidneys, normalizes sleep (can increase the need for sleep); improves sexual function; reduces the level of LDL cholesterol in the blood and has an anti-ulcer effect.
- Of particular importance, ashwagandha is used as a treatment for impotence in men as the plant is a wonderful tonic for the reproductive systems of men. That’s why Ashwagandha is used in the treatment of genital herpes and prostatitis.
- Ashwagandha helps in the treatment of amenorrhea (the delay or absence of menstrual periods, heavy menstrual bleeding, and also menopause).
- Ashwagandha is also used for the treatment of disorders in the nervous system. It is used for various degenerative diseases, such as Parkinson’s Disease and Multiple Sclerosis.
Ashwagandha is available in capsule, powder, tea and other herbal formulas. Depending on your personal needs, recommended dosage is usually 300-500 mg once or twice a day.