Castor oil is one of the best kept secrets in the world. It’s amazing how many castor oil uses there are! Fortunately for me, I’ve known about the almost miraculous powers of castor oil since I was a kid. My European upbringing has provided a lot of priceless information about alternative medicine. The useful properties of castor oil have been known since ancient times. Castor oil comes from the castor seed, Ricinus communis, which has a very unique composition. Originally, the plant was called “Palma Christe” because the leaves were thought to resemble the hand of Christ. The name also represents the miraculous healing properties of the plant. Later on, ancient Egypt, China, Persia, Africa, Greece, Rome, and eventually in 17th Century, Europe and the Americas acknowledged the healing powers of the plant.
A little History
Ricinus communis, the plant from which castor oil is extracted, is native to India. Along with amazing health benefits, the plant itself is known for being one of the most toxic plants on earth. However, there is nothing to worry about – castor oil is not toxic. When castor oil is extracted, the toxic part is left behind in the pulp of the seeds.Home Health Castor Oil, Cold Pressed and Cold Processed, 32-Ounce
The Composition of Castor Oil
Castor oil contains vitamin E, minerals, proteins, antibacterial and anti-fungicidal properties. Castor Oil consists of a triglyceride of fatty acids ( 90% of which are smade up of ricinoleic acid). This unique composition gives castor oil its unbelievable healing abilities. Ricinoleic acid is known to be effective in getting rid of and preventing viruses, bacteria, yeasts and molds.
The Many Castor Oil Uses and Benefits
Castor oil (here) has a long list of useful properties.
- Thickens and regrows hair. Castor oil is loaded with omega 9 fatty acids, which nourish the hair and follicles. Castor oil is able to penetrate into the pores and follicles that produce hair. Just massage a couple of drops of castor oil into your hair.
- Improves Lymphatic Flow. According to Dr David Williams, “No drug exists that has the ability to improve lymphatic flow; however, the job can easily be handled through the topical application of Castor oil.”
- Anti-inflammatory. Castor oil consists of ricinoleic acid, which has anti-inflammatory properties. It is used for reducing inflammation and swelling of joints and tissues.
- Helps the intestinal system with inflammatory bowels and dysentery.
- Yeast Infections. Ricinoleic acid found in castor oil is able inhibit the growth of bacteria, yeast and virus’.
- Constipation. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, castor oil promotes regular bowel movement.
- Gastrointestinal Problems
- Menstrual Disorders. Castor oil is known to relax the muscles involved in menstrual cramps.
- Acne. Due to the ricinoleic acid in castor oil, many skin problems can be treated with it.
- Athlete’s Foot
- Skin Problems
- Hair and Dandruff. Due to fungicidal, germicidal and insecticidal properties, castor oil is an effective treatment for dandruff and helps protect the scalp from fungal and microbial infections.
Castor Oil Uses
To treat skin problems.
For various skin conditions such as bacterial infections, bursitis, fungal infections, itching, keratosis, ringworm, sebaceous cysts, sprains and warts, rub castor oil on to areas of the skin.
Castor oil packs
Another way to use castor oil is to make castor oil packs. (you can find it here) They help with various health ailments such as kidney stones, fibroids, ovarian cysts, swollen joints, irritable bowel syndrome, digestive disorders and menstrual cramps. Soak a cotton cloth folded in several layers in oil and apply it to the skin. Castor oil packs are usually applied to joints and muscles. If you want to increase its effectiveness, place a hot water bottle placed over the pack. Leave it on for an hour. Use it up to 3 times a week.This content will be shown after all post
Do you want to jumpstart your weight loss in just 21 days? Three Weeks to Vitality: The Ultimate Cleanse is a 21-day whole foods-based holistic detox program. There is no fasting or funny stuff -- just good, clean, whole foods!
When I was small, my mother made me ingest by mouth castor oil to relieve constipation. If it is not ingested (taken orally by mouth), how does it relieve constipation? What other application of castor oil can you make? Thank you in advance for your reply!
Before using castor oil packs i took magnesium every day to prevent horrible constipation. when I started using castor topically on my belly I went to the bathroom naturally and I also loss a tremendous amount of girth in the first week, so much that I went down 2 pant sizes in one week. This stuff is amazing. I still use it 3 to 4 times a week along with paleo diet and it has done miracles for me. No more hypertension or diabetes meds. I now use it on my scalp and the hair growth is amazing!
What an awesome article! We didn’t know castor oil had all those benefits and we definitely want to try it for our hair! Thanks 🙂
I used castor oil packs to get me to ovulate and help with irregular periods (because of annovulation). IT works so well and everytime. Now I ovulate with no problems. And I’ve started putting castor oil in my hair, I’ve only done 2 applications, but it’s working already!
I have no way to get an E Book is there any other way to obtain info on castor oil. I need to know how many times to apply to scalp or hair. What is a castor oil pack? I am never ever constipation I have the opposite. Can it be used to still regulate so as to not have diarrhea?
Scalp infection can cause major hair problems like bald patches, itchy scalp, etc.With castor oil’s anti-fungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties, you can fight pathogens and micro-organism causing these problems. Apply it on regular basis to make your scalp infection-free. Neem too has similar antibacterial properties