Though Chia seed entered the modern arena relatively recently, it’s not so new. Chia seed is an ancient superfood that has been used for centuries. The seed was a dietary staple of Mayan and Incan cultures. The word “Chia” means strength. The seeds were used by these ancient cultures as a source of instant energy. It was valued for its ability to sustain and provide endurance. In a case of extreme survival, you could live off chia because it contains 19 amino acids (with most of them being essential amino acids). (where to find)
Why You Should Use Chia Seeds in Your Diet?
Chia seeds contain:
- 3 times more iron than spinach
- great amounts of omega-3
- 2 times the protein of any other seed
- 2 times the amount of potassium as bananas,
- 3 times the antioxidant content of blueberries
9 Unique Ways to Use Chia Seeds in Your Diet
Chia seeds are a wonderful, whole superfood that is great for a variety of unique uses.
1. Substitute Eggs In Recipes
Mix 1 tablespoon of finely ground chia seeds (here) with 3 tablespoons of water: substitute amount per egg.
2. Use sprouted Chia seeds in salads
3. Make grain free crackers
Mix ground chia seeds and organic milk. Make a thin batter and cook in a low oven to make crackers.
4. Make Chia pudding (Gluten Free, Grain Free)
Simply add 1/2 cup of chia seeds to 1 1/2 cups of almond milk.
5. Make a cinnamon Chia butter
Add ground seeds to nut butter and use it as a spread.
6. Use to thicken up gravies and soups
Use chia seeds in place of corn starch. Add 1 teaspoon of chia seeds at a time until you reach your desired thickness. It usually takes a minute or two for the seeds to work!
7. Make a Lassie
Make a “lassie” by blending chia seeds, yogurt and fruit juice.
8. Make “Oatmeal”
Grind seeds and add hot milk to make a “porridge”
9. Eat raw Chia seeds whole as a snack
This content will be shown after all post