This is a grain free delicious substitute risotto recipe. It is easy to make and very nutritious. Shiitake mushrooms add a magnificent aroma to it.
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup uncooked coarsely chopped cauliflower
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh thyme leaves
- sea salt, pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan oven over medium heat. Saute the onions and butternut squash until they start to brown. Add the mushrooms and garlic; cover and saute for 15 more minutes on low heat.
- Add the coarsely chopped cauliflower and cook for a few minutes uncovered. Add the wine and cook until absorbed.
- Add broth, salt, pepper and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until cauliflower is tender and liquid is almost absorbed. Remove from heat; stirring in cheese until it melts. Stir in thyme. Serve immediately.