Lamb Soup with Zucchini
- 7 cups water
- 1 pound boneless lamb cut into small cubes
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/3 cup green peas (frozen or fresh)
- 1-2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- salt, pepper to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro, to garnish
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add lamb and cook until browned. Remove the meat.
- Add the garlic and onion to the same pan and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add water and return the meat to the saucepan. Bring to a boil removing any foam on the surface.
- Reduce the heat and add tomatoes, oregano, thyme, cumin, turmeric and cinnamon. Simmer for about 45 minutes until the meat is tender.
- Add diced carrot, potatoes, and simmer for 20 minutes. Then add zucchini and peas, and cook until the vegetables are tender (around 15 minutes).
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro