While there are many foods that make the list of superfoods, blueberries are always on top. Have you ever got a container of blueberries, and without even noticing, eat the whole thing? It happens to me often. Maybe it’s my knowledge of blueberries and their strong antioxidant power, or maybe they are just simply delicious.
Blueberries are considered to be the highest food source of antioxidants, which destroy free radicals that can wreak havoc on our health and cause premature aging. The antioxidants and phytochemicals in blueberries neutralize DNA-damaging free radicals, reducing cell damage. In fact, just 300 Grams of blueberries protects against DNA damage in humans. Unfortunately, not all blueberries exhibit the same effect. Only organic blueberries are super rich in antioxidants; the non organic variety can actually do more harm than good as more often than not they are heavily sprayed with pesticides.
Paleo Blueberry Muffins
- 1/2 cup fresh organic blueberries
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp melted virgin coconut oil ( where to find)
- 2 1/2 tbsp raw honey (where to find)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (where to find)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- In a mixing bowl(or a blender) add the dry ingredients (coconut flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda) then stir to combine. Pour in coconut oil, eggs, honey and vanilla; mix well.
- Fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Pour the batter into 6 lined muffin cups.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!