Is there anything better than warm donuts and a cup of coffee in the morning? Being grain and gluten free, it’s not so easy to enjoy my favorite treats often, especially going out. So I have to be creative! I’ve learned to bake with those “other” ingredients, that believe it or not are much easier to cook with than regular flour. I mostly use coconut flour and tapioca flour. When it comes to coconut flour, a little bit of it goes a long way. It’s very absorbent. What’s even better is it’s pretty cheap compared to almond and other nut flours.
I have never really made donuts before… I simply didn’t have a doughnut pan. Truth be told, they are hard to find. I just stumbled upon one during a recent trip to Home Goods. And what a great find that was! I think these donuts turned out to be the most delicious Paleo dessert I have ever made. Being obsessed with essential oils and their therapeutic properties, I used a few drops of lemon essential oil which gave the donuts an amazing lemon cake flavor. It’s a very cheap oil but it’s practical uses are enormous. From it’s ability to help with stress disorders, fever, infections, asthma, obesity, insomnia, skin disorders, hair conditions, stomach problems and tiredness to cleaning and beauty care. Lemons are rich in germ-fighting and toxin-fighting substances that strengthen immunity and fight infection. The easiest way to get all the great benefits of lemon is to use lemon essential oil as much as you can in your life. I personally use the oil for almost everything. Did you know that ancient Egyptians drank lemon juice every day to get rid of toxins and poisons? My absolute favorite way to use the oil is to add one drop of it in warm water and drink it first thing in the morning. (here is why should drink lemon water in the morning) A small $10 bottle will last you for a long time!
Paleo Lemon Donuts with Chocolate Icing
Ingredients (makes 6-8 donuts)
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup of raw honey
- 3 drops lemon essential oil (you can use 2 tsp lemon juice)
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, melted (or coconut oil)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f. Grease doughnut pan with coconut oil. (I use this one.)
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Using a whisk, blend in all the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Blend thoroughly.
- Fill doughnut pan about 2/3 of the way full with batter.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 1/2 c Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips or other high quality chocolate (where to find)
- 1tsp Coconut Oil
In a small saucepan, melt together the coconut oil and dark chocolate chips. Glaze the donuts by dunking them into the melted chocolate mixture while it’s still warm. Enjoy!This content will be shown after all post