This is a variation of the traditional Russian Cabbage soup typically made with beef chunks and served with sour cream. Perfect for a cold weather day.
- 2 cups green cabbage coarsely chopped
- 12 oz sausages, such as kielbasa
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 7 cups vegetable or beef stock
- pinch dried thyme
- sea salt and pepper
- Put the sausages in water and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until firm.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat, add the onion, leek and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft and lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and cook, for 1 minute.
- Add the cabbage, tomatoes,stock, thyme, and sausages and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally for about 35 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Serve immediately.