The flavors of sweet potatoes, leeks, and green apple mix well and complement each other really well. This dish can be made as a beautiful holiday presentation.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 green apple, cored and grated
- 3 leeks, rinsed and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese (or any other cheese of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine sweet potatoes, leeks, apple, oil, sage leaves and salt. Season with pepper. Drop the vegetables into a shallow ovenproof casserole and press them down evenly. Bake covered with foil for 15 minutes. Remove, uncover, and sprinkle the cheese on top, and bake for another 30 minutes until browned. Serve warm.