The mix of sweet potatoes and figs is superb. This unique dish will be an instant hit for any occasion.
Sweet Potatoes with Figs and Goat Cheese
- 4 medium size sweet potatoes
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar or honey
- 12 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 red red bell pepper, chopped
- 6-8 ripe figs, quartered
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 3 springs fresh thyme
- salt, pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Wash the potatoes. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and then cut each piece into wedges. Add 3 tablespoons coconut oil, salt, pepper, and sprigs of thyme. Blend well.
- Roast in 450 degree oven skin side down until tender. Add figs for last 10-15 minutes of roasting.
- Bake for a total of 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Make the balsamic reduction. In a saucepan, mix the balsamic vinegar with honey and bring to a boil. Then decrease the heat and simmer for 2 to 4 minutes, until it thickens.
- In a separate pan, heat the remaining coconut oil, add bell pepper and green onions. Stirring frequently, fry green onions and chile for about 5 minutes.
- Arrange the sweet potato mixture on plates. Spoon the mixture of green onions and chile over the potatoes. Drizzle with the balsamic reduction and top each plate with crumbled goat cheese.
- (Original recipe from The Jewish Journal, courtesy of Jerusalem: The Cookbook)