You have been fooled if you were ever led to believe that watermelon is nothing but water (with no nutritional value). This common myth (like a lot of nutritional misconceptions) has probably turned a lot of people away from this incredibly nutritious fruit. In fact, watermelon has the more nutrition per calorie than most common foods!
Watermelon is a great thirst quenching, healing, super food. Watermelon is loaded with Vitamin C (which is a major antioxidant) and beta-carotene (which turns into vitamin A in the body). Have you ever thought, what give watermelons their bright red color? The red color comes from lycopene, a powerful antioxidant associated with healthy arteries and blood flow. It is also rich in Vitamin B6, which is a great hormone regulator. Watermelon moistens the body and the cells, flushes out the kidneys, gall bladder and bladder. Also (all guys should pay close attention to this), the flesh of watermelon contains high levels of the amino acid citrulline. This is significant because the body converts citrulline into arginine, another amino acid that functions as a precursor to nitric oxide. Nitric oxide, in turn, plays a very important role in the dilation of blood vessels and the process of penile erection.
These amazing qualities of a watermelon make it a perfect choice for a hot summer day.
Watermelon Limeade: The Best Sugar-free Summer Drink (Packed with Nutrients)
- 2 cups seedless watermelon
- 2 limes (juiced)
- 1 inch of peeled fresh ginger
- raw organic honey to taste (where to find)
- 48 ounces water
- 1 glass pitcher
1. Separate the pulp of the watermelon from its rind and chop it roughly. Add the watermelon, juice from the four limes, honey and ginger into a blender.
2. Blend the mixture for a few minutes until smooth.
3. Strain the mixture into a glass pitcher, add water and stir well.
4. Serve over ice.
5. Garnish with a slice of lime.