Recently I came across an article in The Telegraph “Breast cancer sufferer ‘used superfoods to combat disease”. It talked about a woman who was diagnosed with breast cancer. She declined traditional treatments and decided to find a cure for her diagnosis with nutrition. She used a range of superfoods including the spice Turmeric (used in curries) which she claims “makes cancer cells commit suicide”. Four years later, she has no sign of cancer coming back. What a blow to pharmaceutical companies who build their empires on traditional modern medicine (though I acknowledge their contributions and place in the medical community) .
In our society we are encouraged to visit doctors so they can over-prescribe us chemically produced medicine and make these pharmaceutical companies richer. I don’t think people should be surprised when certain individuals get cured from illnesses by just using natural remedies because that’s what people used for centuries prior to us.
When I think of turmeric, I think of Indian cuisine and unfortunately it doesn’t make me salivate but there are many other ways to incorporate turmeric into your diet. From a culinary and medical perspective, curry spice, is one the most important spices.
Eating turmeric daily is beneficial for overall health as it cleans out your system and keeps your organs healthy.
5 Amazing Reasons To Eat Turmeric Daily
- Turmeric stimulates the production of bile which helps to break down fatty foods, which in turn, may help you lose weight. Taking one teaspoon of Turmeric powder with every meal may help in loosing weight. This of course doesn’t cancel the fact that you need to eat healthy and exercise.
- Turmeric has major antioxidant properties which helps fight diseases by destroying free radicals.
- The most promising quality of turmeric is its ability to prevent cancer. This super-food can stop cancer from growing and spreading into other organs. It causes cancer cells to commit suicide.
- Turmeric’s anti-bacterial agents may help our body fight against colds, cough and flu. Turmeric’s key ingredient Curcumin is known for its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which can help in healing cuts and wounds.
- Turmeric improves liver function. This is done through the production of enzymes that break down toxins into materials that are easily eliminated by the body. Taking turmeric increases the production of these enzymes, thus improving liver function.
Here are some ways to add turmeric to your diet:
- Include the spice as an ingredient in your regular meals.
- You can make a tea out of turmeric. Boil about four cups of water with a spoonful of turmeric for about ten to fifteen minutes. Strain and drink.
- Add turmeric into your daily smoothies
- Add turmeric to a glass of organic warm milk which helps fight cold and flu
- Or you can use turmeric supplements daily
Starwest Botanicals Organic Turmeric Root Powder – 1 lbs