You have probably heard the saying “you are what you eat”, well it goes even further “you are what you put on your skin”. As you know, our skin is the largest organ of our body and what I will say next might be a big shock to you: there is more danger in putting chemicals on your skin than actually consuming them! Why? Because our skin can actually breath and thus absorbs the things we put on our skin.
If we just use conventional body care, our skin is absorbing nothing but bad stuff. SO, what happens next? These bad ingredients enter our bloodstream and get carried around our body, penetrating our organs. Our skin is very gentle and sensitive as is, but our babies’ skin is even more so. Thus, using conventional goods such as chemically laced diapers (such as these)can lead to future health problems due to the fact that the baby’s organs are still developing.
GMO’s and Toxic Chemicals in your baby’s diapers
- Genetically Modified Organisms. Did you know that 94 percent of all cotton grown in USA is genetically modified, so chances are your baby’s diapers are made of GMO’s. As we know GMO’s are very dangerous to our bodies. It destroys our cells, alters DNA function, leads to precarious cell growth, immune problems, infertility and this list goes on.
- Pesticides. Conventional diapers contain pesticides. The health effects of pesticides include asthma, neurological effects, cancer, hormone disruption, etc.
- Dioxins. Many baby diapers are bleached with chlorine which results in traces of dioxins. These chemicals are known to cause damage to the central nervous system, kidneys, and liver. According to the US Environmental Protection Agency, dioxin leads to many health problems as it is not safe at any level of exposure.
- Dyes. The dyes used in diapers to make them colorful give some babies and toddlers an allergic skin reaction. The skin becomes inflamed because of the contact of the skin with an allergy-provoking substance, such as fabric dyes and fragrances.
- Sodium polyacrylate: The super absorbent gel in the center of the diapers is made of sodium polyacrylate which has been linked to toxic shock syndrome and allergic reactions.
SO what are the alternatives to gmo’s and toxic chemicals in your baby’s diapers? What diapers should you use?
Cloth diapers might be more expensive initially but they can be used close to 200 times before you get rid of them. If washing them is too much of a hassle for you, you can always buy flushable diaper liners to line the cloth diapers… these can be flushed down the toilet.
It is up to you to ensure the well being of your children!
Kissaluvs Organic Cotton/Hemp Fitted Diaper, Unbleached, Medium/Large 15-40lbs