You have probably heard the saying “you are what you eat”, well it goes even further “you are what you put on your skin”. As you know, our skin is the largest organ of our body and what I will say next might be a big shock to you: there is more danger in putting chemicals on your skin than actually consuming them! Why? Because our skin can actually breath and thus absorbs the things we put on our skin.
If we just use conventional body care, our skin is absorbing nothing but bad stuff. SO, what happens next? These bad ingredients enter our bloodstream and get carried around our body, penetrating our organs. Our skin is very gentle and sensitive as is, but our babies’ skin is even more so. Thus, using conventional goods such as chemically laced diapers (such as these)can lead to future health problems due to the fact that the baby’s organs are still developing.
GMO’s and Toxic Chemicals in your baby’s diapers
- Genetically Modified Organisms. Did you know that 94 percent of all cotton grown in USA is genetically modified, so chances are your baby’s diapers are made of GMO’s. As we know GMO’s are very dangerous to our bodies. It destroys our cells, alters DNA function, leads to precarious cell growth, immune problems, infertility and this list goes on.
- Pesticides. Conventional diapers contain pesticides. The health effects of pesticides include asthma, neurological effects, cancer, hormone disruption, etc.
- Dioxins. Many baby diapers are bleached with chlorine which results in traces of dioxins. These chemicals are known to cause damage to the central nervous system, kidneys, and liver. According to the US Environmental Protection Agency, dioxin leads to many health problems as it is not safe at any level of exposure.
- Dyes. The dyes used in diapers to make them colorful give some babies and toddlers an allergic skin reaction. The skin becomes inflamed because of the contact of the skin with an allergy-provoking substance, such as fabric dyes and fragrances.
- Sodium polyacrylate: The super absorbent gel in the center of the diapers is made of sodium polyacrylate which has been linked to toxic shock syndrome and allergic reactions.
SO what are the alternatives to gmo’s and toxic chemicals in your baby’s diapers? What diapers should you use?
Fortunately, there are manynatural alternatives such as cloth diapers and organic chlorine free diapers.
Cloth diapers might be more expensive initially but they can be used close to 200 times before you get rid of them. If washing them is too much of a hassle for you, you can always buy flushable diaper liners to line the cloth diapers… these can be flushed down the toilet.
It is up to you to ensure the well being of your children!
Kissaluvs Organic Cotton/Hemp Fitted Diaper, Unbleached, Medium/Large 15-40lbs
Modern cloth diapers are so much easier than most people realize.
Courtney, I absolutely agree!
I LOVE my cloth!!! I have to use sposies overnight though because my baby’s urine is so strong with ammonia that he gets ammonia burn if i use cloth overnight 🙁 I hate buying and using the sposies. But I can’t find a better option!
Hi Ashley! What brand of cloth diapers do you use?
We use bumgenius one size diapers (on all 3 kids) and for the night I put them in fleece-lined fuzzybunz with double insert (thick ones). I suggest to Ashley that she uses a gentle diaper cream (thin layer) for the night…. It will act like a barrier. Weleda makes an excellent one!
I am very happy to read your articles it’s very useful for me,
and I am completely satisfied with your website.
All comments and articles are very useful and very good.
Your blog is very attention-grabbing. I am loving all of the in.
turn you are sharing with each one!….
This article was great in suggesting new brands and
styles to try out.
, I thought this article was suppose
to help those of us who have never used diapers,
Thank you so much for this comprehensive list!
I have read many reviews and done a ton of research
. This has helped me make decisions
on diapers.I am completely happy with your website
. All comments and articles
are very useful and very good. Your blog is very
I am loving all of the inside ,
Baby Diapers online