Sage is a plant that is very well known and widely used in folk medicine. The distribution of sage started in the Mediterranean during ancient times and its description can be found in many Greek and Roman physician notes. Hippocrates called sage the “sacred herb” and recommended its wide application. Actually, this is not surprising given the name sage (salvia), which comes from the Latin salvere (to be in good health).
Amazing Health Benefits of Sage
- As a herb, sage leaves contain vitamins, phytoncides, alkaloids, flavonoids, organic acids, resin, tannins and natural antioxidants.
- Sage has very well established anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, blood-regenerating and general health-improving properties.
- Sage improves the secretory activity of the digestive tract, the secretion of gastric juice and significantly reduces sweating.
- The healing properties of sage herb used to treat diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, liver, kidneys, viral infections, sore throats, bronchitis, gingivitis, mumps, polyarthritis, radiculitis, neuritis, diabetes, female related problems, skin diseases, wounds, sores, boils, burns, removal of asthma attacks, etc.
- Fresh sage leaves can be applied onto the skin for the treatment of skin diseases, wounds, ulcers and tumors. It is also used in cooking as a seasoning spice.