Sleep is without a doubt one of the most effective medicines. If we don’t get enough sleep, or suffer restless nights, our immune system can become weakened and compromised. Whether you suffer from insomnia or snoring, your health might be in danger. Sleep deprivation has a high impact on your entire health and triggers many diseases such as type II Diabetes, hearts attacks, strokes, Parkinson disease, obesity and cognitive disorders. (here) Snoring not only affects people who snore but also people that are in the same room. As novelist Anthony Burgess described, “Laugh and the world laughs with you; snore and you sleep alone.”
Why Do We Snore?
Snoring in itself is not a disease but it’s a symptom of a bigger problem. Snoring occurs when breathing is obstructed. When we are awake, our throat muscles work by keeping the throat open (this helps the air to pass without any obstacles when we breathe). However, when we fall asleep our throat and mouth muscles are relaxed and our throat becomes narrower. Subsequently, when we breath the relaxed tissue vibrates against the back of our throat causing us to make loud noises. Sometimes these obstructions are caused by a simple cold or alcohol, weight issues, allergies, or even sleeping on your back. Snoring can be occasional or it can turn into a chronic disease such as sleep apnea (it’s basically an inability to breath properly during sleep). Chronic sleep disorders are very dangerous as snoring reduces the amount of oxygen in your blood, which can affect your organs. (here)
6 Best Home Remedies for Snoring
- Have a teaspoon of olive oil before bed. Olive oil is a natural lubricant which can help with a irritated throat.
- Engage in high intensity interval training. Interval training helps your respiratory tract to get stronger by working around 90 % of your heart during interval periods.
- Drinking Eucalyptus tea (here) can prevent snoring. Eucalyptus tea possesses decongestant properties. It helps clear mucous and open air passages. Soak 2 teaspoons of eucalyptus leaves in a boiling cup of water, drain and drink to prevent snoring.
- Lavender and chamomile can also help with sleep by calming your nerves. They work great for many sleep disorders. Chamomile is effective at relaxing the muscles. You can drink a cup of chamomile tea before bed and use a essential oil diffuser for the lavender oil as it relaxes your body when inhaled.
- Valerian root. Valerian Root has sedative properties that help with sleepless nights. Due to the unbelievable content of useful substances (the area of influence on the human body is enormous) scientists have found that this plant has the ability to suppress the Central Nervous System and reduce muscle spasms. The essential oil of Valerian Root reduces anxiety and increases the functional mobility processes in the brain cortex. (You can get it here)
- Cardamom is an expectorant and decongestant, making it effective for opening up blocked nasal passages. Free air passage will result in less snoring.
- Add one-half teaspoon of cardamom powder to a glass of warm water.
- Drink it 30 minutes before going to bed.
- Do this daily to gradually reduce your snoring.
I love your site!!! Thank you for this article. My Hubby snores like a chain saw! His sister has sleep apnea, and has the machine. I would like to try some of these natural remedies first. As I do not think he will go to the doctor or use the machine (very stubborn).