Who would have thought that proper brushing is the secret for gorgeous hair. Forget about expensive and often toxic hair products. I admit, I often go about my day without brushing my hair at all. I think I subconsciously fell victim of the modern theory of brushing – less is better. In contrast, back in the old days, women were told to brush their hair 100 times a day. I remember being told by my grandmother and old school hairdressers to make sure to brush often. Turns out, brushing is the optimal way to rejuvenate your hair.
Why You Should Brush Your Hair Often
Did you know that combs are among the oldest tools found by archaeologists? These discoveries are dated back to 5000 years ago in Persia. Jane Austen’s heroines brushed their hair 100 strokes each day. During my grandmothers’ era, brushing was a very important and common nighttime ritual for women. As it turns out, daily brushing of the scalp and hair is much more important than using any hair products. Why?
- Daily Brushing cleanses your hair better than any hair product. It helps remove debris, dirt, and other impurities such as uric acid crystal deposits.
- Daily Brushing increases circulation to your scalp. All you need is 3 minutes of brushing at a time to achieve a healthy scalp.
- Daily Brushing also helps get rid of the dead cells from the scalp which helps reduce dandruff.
- Proper brushing helps release sebum which helps keep the scalp healthy and moisturized.
- Daily brushing makes hair grow faster. When your scalp is free of dirt, your hair will grow faster.
- Frequent hair brushing adds shine and volume to your hair.
According to Victorian Beauty Tips, “The hair should be brushed for at least twenty minutes in the morning, for ten minutes when it is dressed in the middle of the day, and for a like period at night. In brushing or combing, begin at extreme points, and in combing hold the portion of hair just above that through which the comb is passing firmly between the first and second fingers, so that if entangled it may drag from that point, and not from the roots.”
How to Brush Your Hair Properly
Remove tangles, starting at the bottom of your hair first.
Once all the tangles have been removed, brush out your hair with long strokes, beginning at the scalp and working your way down to the tips in order to spread the sebum.
Brush in slow easy strokes for 3 – 5 minutes. For a stimulating scalp massage, bend forward from the waist so your hair hangs in front of your face and brush upside down.
Choosing the right brush is as important as properly brushing your hair. It is recommended to choose a natural-bristle brush. Boar bristles are the best such as the Morrocco Method Boar Brush. These brushes are absolutely the best as they help create healthy and shiny hair. As boar hair is very absorbent, it helps to redistribute the oils from the scalp through the rest of the hair.
Do you want to jumpstart your weight loss in just 21 days? Three Weeks to Vitality: The Ultimate Cleanse is a 21-day whole foods-based holistic detox program. There is no fasting or funny stuff -- just good, clean, whole foods!