I’m Stacey from www.beautyandthefoodie.com and I enjoy making healthy paleo treats for my family. I adore La Healthy Living and all her healthy living articles and natural remedies. There is a vast wealth of knowledge on this site. I was very excited to guest post here and bring you some chocolaty paleo treats. These paleo brownies are thick, chocolaty, sheet-cake style brownies with a caramel, sunflower butter frosting. Then they are sprinkled with sea salt and drizzled with optional chocolate sauce. Enjoy!
Caramel Sun Butter Sea Salt Brownies
½ cup coconut flour (here)
2/3 cup coconut sugar (here)
1/3 cup ghee or organic red palm oil (here)
2 tbsp cocoa powder or cacao powder
3 eggs, beaten
½ cup water
6 tbsp coconut milk or almond milk + 1 ¼ tsp apple cider vinegar, mixed in a separate bowl (this makes dairy free buttermilk)
1 tsp organic GF vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
Caramel Sun Butter Sea Salt Layer
2/3 cup sunflower seed butter or almond butter
½ cup Medjool, pitted dates, chopped (ground up in bullet type blender or processor with ¼ cup water)
2 tbsp honey
1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
1 tsp sea salt, course ground * optional, for sprinkling on top
*Can garnish with optional paleo chocolate sauce: 1 tsp cocoa powder + 1 tbsp melted coconut oil + 2 tsp honey. Heat and stir together till sauce forms (can be drizzled on top).
- Preheat oven to 400 F and grease or oil an 8×8 pan well.
- In a large metal or ceramic mixing bowl, combine: ½ cup sifted coconut flour and 2/3 cup coconut sugar, Mix together thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a medium size sauce pan, combine: 1/3 cup ghee or red palm oil, ½ water, and 2 tbsp cocoa powder. Stir and heat to just boiling on stove top.
- Pour boiling mixture over coconut flour mixture in bowl. Stir together.
- Add to mixture: 3 eggs, 6 tbsp coconut milk or almond milk + 1 ¼ tsp apple cider vinegar mixture, 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Mix together well using a large spoon or electric mixer.
- Pour or spoon batter into well-greased pan.
- Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out of center clean.
Start making caramel sun butter layer.
- Combine ½ cup chopped medjool dates and ¼ cup water in a high powered blender or food processor. Process until paste like texture forms.
- In a medium sauce pan on medium heat combine: 2/3 cup sunflower seed butter or almond butter, ground dates and water mixture, 2 tbsp honey, 1 ½ tbsp coconut oil or ghee. Stir together while melting the ingredients.
- Once ingredients are completely combined and melted turn down heat to lowest setting.
- Once brownies are removed from oven and cooled a little, spoon caramel sun butter topping over top of brownies and spread over evenly.
- Let cool, then refrigerate until the caramel sun butter layer has somewhat thickened or solidified.
- Sprinkle a little sea salt over top of caramel layer. Can also drizzle with optional chocolate sauce.
- Cut into squares or use oiled cookie cutter shapes to cut out of pan.
Serve and enjoy.