Believe it or not, mustard is not just a common condiment that makes your food tastier, it actually improves your health. Mustard is made from the seed of the mustard plant. Mustard is one of the world’s most ancient spices. Long before us, mustard was considered a healing agent rather than a food. Hippocrates used mustard seed for all kinds of ailments. The making of mustard was perfected by the French. By the 9th century mustard was being made by French monks who brought in significant income from mustard preparations.
Is Mustard More Than Just A Condiment?
Mustard not only stimulates the appetite (increasing the production of saliva by up to 8 times), it also promotes digestion. Mustard is an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and slightly laxative agent. Small quantities of mustard can neutralize toxins and helps with indigestion. Mustard can be considered a nutritional superstar.
One teaspoon of white mustard seed contains 84.2mg of omega-6 fatty acids, 87.1mg of omega-3 fatty acids, 22.2mg of potassium, 9.7mg of magnesium,27.3mg of phosphorous, and 16.9 mg of calcium.
Unbelievable Health Benefits of Mustard
- Mustard seed contains Allyl Isothiocyanate (AITC). AITC has been scientifically shown to “strongly inhibit bladder cancer development and progression,” according to this 2010 study published in the science journal Carcinogenesis.
- Mustard is one of the few sources of selenium. Selenium is known to possess anti-inflammatory properties. It was also found to reduce the severity of asthma.
- Mustard Seeds are loaded with antioxidants. Mustard seeds contain a number of potent phytochemicals that protect our cells from damage caused by free radicals.
- Mustard Seeds speed up metabolism thus helping you loose weight. In fact, a researcher from England’s Oxford Polytechnic Institute discovered that eating a teaspoon of hot mustard can boost metabolism 20 to 25 percent for several hours after eating. The heat in spicy mustard will raise your internal body temperature during digestion so the spicier your mustard is the better.
- Mustard Seeds help ease and get rid of migraines. This is due to magnesuim and Omega-3 Fatty Acids present in mustard.
- Mustard Seeds possess antiseptic and anti-fungal properties.
- Mustard seeds contain great amounts of phytonutrients called glucosinolates. Phytonutrients compounds enable the body to fight against gastrointestinal cancer. Isothiocyanates that are made from glucosinolates prevent cancers by suppressing the growth of cancer cells.
- Mustard also contains sulphur, which has been used as a treatment for skin diseases. Sulphur is a vital mineral needed by our bodies. It has natural antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It’s a healing mineral which promotes circulation and decreases inflammation.
So keep on passing that bottle of mustard as it delivers unbelievable health benefits for your body.